Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 13 August 2017

Thebes (pretty boring really)

I've never been able to paint convincing clubs on shields. To relieve the monotony I tried some with Hercules as the shield blazon instead but that didn't really help. On the other hand, 7/8 hoplite elements suffice, so a couple of armoured infantry as Sacred Band will do - not sure if I'll do a full 4 element Sacred Band unit.


One problem of fixing figures on bases randomly is that it sometimes goes a bit wrong - hadn't intended to put 3 Hercules figures on the same base. Not sure I like the black silhouette version.

On the other hand, the clubs aren't much better.

So, another 24 figures waiting to be painted - probably as Athenians. That gives me a range of shield blazons - obviously alpha and owls, probably also some bull heads to represent the Minotaur and Theseus, perhaps a few with triremes to represent the wooden walls... seems a lot more interesting than Thebes.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, love the shields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, comes under the heading of personal preference - no one will ever convince me that those shields are beautiful!

      But thanks for the thought. I will be a lot happier with the next lot... as I am with all the others.

      Delete
  2. Was always a challenge. I remember Steve Walker when he was with John Braithwaite produced marvellous shields, I got quite good at painting arachnids 😀
    Do I take it you've stopped selling the garrison ancients now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I 'retired' Garrison in October 2014 - a case of getting too old to spend several hours each weekend casting.

      Delete
    2. That's a pity, understandable but a pity I will have to make do with painting the last 24 hoplites I have. 😀

      Delete
    3. The reason I bought Garrison in the first place was to ensure my own supply. Still, I kept the ranges going commercially for 7 years - some were out longer with me than with Greenwood and Ball!

      Delete
    4. Rob,
      Wise move just a pity they're not available any more. Enjoy

      Delete