Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 23 October 2017

'New' Egyptians and Philistines

OK, got the new Egyptians and Philistines. First looks, very much a mixed bag.

Start with the horror story - the Egyptian chariots...

For a start, they didn't travel well. I think the main reason for this is that the box was packed, wrapped in paper, and the label put on the bottom... so it's spent several days upside down...
 Resulting in quite a few breakages...

 But to make things worse... some are obvious home casts. Look at the wheels and javelin cases - lots of missing spokes and miscast javelins. Haven't looked closely at the  chariots yet.
 Not very well done. The wheel is more obvious from the photo than the javelins. Happily, chariot wheels are not something I'm short of -  a lot of my other chariots were given Garrison wheels so lots of spares lying around.
 But the infantry are OK.

 I also got some archers but the photos didn't come out. Actually, the archers look OK but the bases have been cut down - possibly more homecasts?
 No issues with the Philistines - happy with them.


So very much a mixed bag. I would have sent the chariots back normally but they actually sold quite cheaply and many seem to be recoverable.













8 comments:

  1. Too bad about the breakage and the possibility of some being homecasts. If the the cost was cheap enough and the damage not too great and fixable, I likely would keep them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unit cost for the chariots works out at £2.82 each.As they include 2 crew, and allowing a pound for that, it's £1.82 each. Even if I lose half of them, I can live with it!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a pretty good deal all things considered but the poor packaging would annoy me more than the homecasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The horses were decimated - bent over with snapped legs. Realistically though it was the infantry and Philistines that were my prime targets and they were fine.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to say that I was curious to see those Ox chariots. I remember the photo of them in the original Minifigs catalogue about 1970! Do you have any others or are these your first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already had 2 plus another sans oxen though only 1 painted so far. 4 complete ox carts seems a good number to finish with. Click on 'Philistine' on the Labels side bar and you'll see thse Philistines I've already done - though the ox cart I've put the shafts on top of the oxen instead of under the chin, might get round to changing that some day.

      Delete
  4. a bit of work but savable I think

    ReplyDelete