Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 22 January 2018

1897 first unit

Based on the figure of the 35th Royal Sussex uniform in Her Majesty's Army, the first unit is completed. Each man represents one of the eight companies of the battalion/regiment. I have made a couple of changes - helmet should be dark blue but I've done it black, uniform should be scarlet but I've used red - didn't have any scarlet paint. I might go over the bayonets with silver to brighten them up a bit and I'm not sure about the effect of the brass buttons on the tunic.The figures have just been sprayed in matt varnish so far - still haven't got any gloss - but then, that should make for better photos anyway!


The book specifies the names of the units that were 'involved' - mostly non-regulars - but in action I'm not going to be pedantic about the Regimental Colours ... 'toy soldiers.' This lot will be changing regiments for just about every battle.


Work in progress include a Guards regiment. I've still got a few more figures on order.

Just before Christmas my Auntie Bettie died - she left me a small legacy so I'm going to be able to complete buying the figures for this project quite quickly. The first result of this has been an order placed for  French/Russian armies from Irregular Miniatures - I've ordered one of their  Jolly Fun Toy Soldier Battlepacks (can't link directly to the page!) and specified French in kepis with the Russian cavalry as Cossacks! They don't actually have this combination listed but are quite happy to go with customer requests! That order could possibly be in the post today.

So, the first diversion of 2018 is coming along nicely.

7 comments:

  1. Love 'em! Very Wellsian if you'll pardon the Little Wars association.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apart from really reverting back to my childhood and actually shooting at the models with matchsticks that's the basic intention - so that object achieved so far.

      Delete
  2. They look lovely.... I'm currently using Windsor and Newton High Gloss varnish which is very good (2 coats for a glassy finish), but have used yacht varnish in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must confess, just get mine from Halfords! Never had a problem, and if it's good enough for cars it's good enough for me!

      Delete