Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday, 7 May 2017

Back to painting cavalry

Although there are digressions re infantry and paint stripping I should point out that I'm still continuing to build up the cavalry force. Basic painting system I'm using is grey undercoat then oversprayed with a couple of different browns to give the horse colour. After that, normal painting.

A couple of photos showing the 3 squadrons currently being processed.

  PEC3 is the cavalryman with spear and shield. Not the most authentic of figures, I'm painting loads of these up because they're on the same moulds of the ones I want.

PEC4 is going to be used in the later armies - dress would be more appropriate to earlier armies and is straight out of Funken.

PEC6 is supposed to be the cataphract figure. However, armament matches earlier cavalry with spear/bow/shield - so used as Early cavalry up to Cunaxa on an unarmoured horse. Might add a unit or two on armoured horses later.

Friday, 5 May 2017

In the pot (2) - Persian light cavalry conversions

Many years ago when I first bought Garrison I used to try and make my own moulds using the Tiranti system. I also went through a phase of producing various conversions. Two of these were Persian light cavalry figures based on the javelin/bow/shield figure - one horse archer, the other with two javelins. A unit of each was cast, painted and enrolled in the Royal Army.

Sadly, no more could be made and 'bought' moulds had other priorities. However, I'm going through another mould making phase - 4 moulds on order at the moment - and decided to build up these two figures. So I've been quietly stripping the paint off 6 of each and they're in the final phase...

The intention is to use 3 of each as cavalry masters and put the other 3 on bases as infantry masters - it's worked well with a lot of other cavalry figures and should give me some useful additions.

I wish Garrison had made professional versions of all these years ago...

Thursday, 4 May 2017

In the pot.

Sometimes you start painting a unit and you know the colours aren't right. In between cavalry units I thought I'd do another infantry unit but... colurs aren't right...

 So in the pot it goes.

And the pot joins all the other pots.

Why do I keep thinking that, one day, a bunch of miniature Martians or zombies is going to get out around here?

Monday, 1 May 2017

Garrison Camel Corps

Not many posts in April because I'm busy building up the Garrison Persian cavalry. One part of the cavalry that has been sadly neglected over the years has been the Camel Corps. I've now started to address that issue, so here is the first squadron finished.

Meanwhile, the some of the 'normal' cavalry are out as well. Still quite a way to go with these, - several more heavy cavalry units needed and I haven't really started on the lights yet.

Monday, 17 April 2017

'S' Range Egyptian army

Although most of these figures have appeared in previous posts it's always nice to put all of the figures of a particular army together. In this case, just one unit away from completing this army... which would mean a couple of units being 'bumped' into other Divisions.

The army is formed from 4 Divisions - Amun, Pre, Sutekh and Ptah. Each Division apart from Ptah consists of a scout cavalry force, a chariot unit, 2 close order spear/blade units, 1  close order archery unit and a light infantry unit. Roughly 84 infantry, 4 chariots and 6 cavalry. Ptah is the 'foreign' Division, Nubian/Kushite. More archers than spears and commanded by a Kushite commander. The Pharaoh has a separate 'Guard' chariot unit.

These photos show the army with Amun and Pre in front, Sutekh and Ptah behind while the Pharaoh and his squadron lead from the front.

This shows the ranks a bit better -  Pharaoh in front, then cavalry/chariots, then infantry.

The Pharaohs squadron.

Right flank, Amun in front, Sutekh behind.

The left flank, Pre backed by Ptah. Pre has it's own 'general', as does Ptah. The Pharaoh would normally be with Amun so perhaps I should sort a general for Sutekh...

Saturday, 15 April 2017

'S' Range Assyrian army - more or less completed...

There's still a couple of units to sort - a light infantry archer unit, a few 4 horse chariots, more Hordes and some heavy infantry spears. However, this is basically the completed thing.

Most of the units have already been shown but this is the first time I've managed to put them together as an army. They cover a 4' frontage here, so I don't think I'll ever be able to do a 'Grand Review' covering these, my Garrison Assyrians and the assorted ones that head this blog.

These two show the whole army lined up

The right flank going into the centre. The 2 horse chariots are ones I've done. One thing about the chariot force is that crews are a mix of Garrison and 'S' Range.  Some also have Garrison wheels. The middle 2 horse chariot is my 'Early' Assyrian general.
 The heavy chariots are in the centre. I used the 'S' Range cataphract horse to pull them - still got another 4 to do. I've split the Scythian light horse unit into 2 for these photos - I have got another unit of these but they have been allocated to the Persian army.
 Chariots on the left flank are a mixed bunch. Starting from left to right, the first 3 are ones I did. In the middle are the 3 that came with the army. These have not been modified and I tried to paint the rest of the 2 horse chariots in the same style. The extreme left flank are ones that came with the army but were not painted by Harry - see here.

Hopefully I'll be able to sort out and photograph more 'complete' armies over the next few months.