Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 8 November 2015

March of the Ten Thousand

Every now and then you go looking through things and come across something that had a major impact on your future interests. In my case, the young me had an interest in history, but the military side was very WW2 because that's what was in all the comics - helped by family stories as I was born just a few years after the end of the war.

Then one day I picked up a comic that wasn't about WW2 and suddenly I was hooked on Greeks and Persians - and this is the actual comic, still in my possession after, what over 50 years.


There is no date, publisher or any other info about it Even the author is simply credited as Xenophon, whoever created this version or the artwork is long forgotten.


But, there it; one of the major influences of my wargames career.

7 comments:

  1. Based on the influence that Classic's Caesar's Conquest had on me, I'd have been hooked as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you go on to read the original?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of times in lots of different translations. The prelude of Cunaxa I wrote about in Slingshot - a 3 part series back in the 90s - and it also featured in the Garrison Journal 2012. For a short time in the past I took up bookbinding - no coincidence that the first books I bound were the 2 volume Langhorne 1886 translation of Plutarch's Lives. Artaxerxes 3 played a part...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news is you're not as old as you think you are! Assuming that's 10 British pence, the price would date the comic as no earlier than 1971.

    Was this a periodical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knocks my timescale a bit - started Uni October 1970, until then had only collected Airfix plastic, including Romans and Ancient Brits. So this coming out provided the impetus to look at and buy my first metal figures. Early 71 is a good date for that, I just thought the interest in Greek and Persian ARMIES had come earlier - but the dates fit.

      I used to buy the old 'Commando' comics which I think are still around, this was in the rack with them. My only info is what's on the package - and 5 years later tan I had thought at that!

      Rob

      Delete
    2. It might be even later! According to this that particular issue dates from 1976 though 10p does seem cheap for then:

      http://www.comichaus.com/comics/double-duo-3/109469.htm

      Delete
    3. Any time past 71 would be very unlikely - I'm quite surprised it could be that late! 1976 is a year later than my first published article on Persians!

      Delete