Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday, 30 July 2017

Vile Kush DBA I/46

One of my options when I didn't have a melting pot was to revisit 'old' figures and start putting together DBA armies from them. One army is the Kushites. Again, I have made up complete units rather than just those needed for the DBA army.

If nothing else, I had a lot of Garrison conversions and Nubians lying around, mostly painted but unused - one of the partially finished armies of a couple of years ago. A few additions and I'm getting there.

These are the units the army is based on without the cavalry and 'Egyptian' units.

The general's chariot is one of my 'standard' card models, chariot pole and yoke coming from one of the old Garrison 'Ancient Ships' Range. General and charioteer are early conversions of mine.

The chariot was originally part of my Garrison Egyptian army - it was a resurrected Rose model. Garrison horses, again some of my early conversions.

Standard Garrison PEA5 Nubian Auxiliary with spear and shield unarmoured act as both the Sp and Ax elements. It is assumed that the leopard markings and tail are prints, etc, rather than actual leopard skins!

Didn't have enough archers with ostrich feathers for the army, so the Bw and Ps elements will probably be replaced at some time with figures properly dressed in leopard skins and ostrich feathers. The figures used were mostly already painted.

No idea why there are slingers in the army. An early set of army lists had slingers as mandatory in a Kushite army so I naturally felt that I had to make and use some.

The 'Egyptian' component of the army has two possibilities, both lifted  straight from my normal Garrison army. One option is simply 'white' versions of the Kushites, the other uses PEA1 Egyptian Auxiliary half armour, spear and shield plus standard archer with an 'Egyptian' headdress. Both options just need work done on the bases.

The last elements are the Cv elements. For these, I'm using REC5, African Auxiliary cavalrymen with javelin and shield unarmoured. However, they didn't work as they stood and I've got to file the shield emblems down before they're ready.

Figures update:

Still working on a General's chariot for Late Achaemenids. Kushites as just stated. Figures cast and painting started for Late Spartan and Theban armies - Spartans nearly finished painting. In both cases I will need more than the standard 6 element units, so will also do 4 element units to act as Hippeis and Sacred Band.These may be based on the infantry version of GC3, Cavalryman half armour, Boetian helmet and shield rather than the GC5 conversion. Also, nearly finished painting a random unit of Persian infantry based on PEC4 - the Garrison cavalry convert nicely to infantry! This unit had already been undercoated and was started during the 'no casting' period.

So, I'm curently working on 4 different DBA armies plus 1 random unit. Which just about sums me up really.

No comments:

Post a Comment