Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Last year, this year

I have what can best be described as a grasshopper mind when it comes to wargaming. I go on projects, I go off projects, I get distracted...

So what happened last year, and how do I 'plan' this year to go....

Well firstly Newhaven didn't do well last year. For various reasons I didn't assemble a single building or paint a single citizen/monster. Newhaven is meant to be one of my summer projects, this summer I got distracted... must do more Newhaven this year!


As far as Ancients go, these days these can nearly always be split easily into 'Garrison' or 'Minifigs'. Minifigs, quite a few things. Firstly, got a DBA Philistine army done, then acquired enough figures to expand that - haven't started the expansion, but will 'probably' do part of it this year. The Egyptians were finished, then I bought more, still got a few units to finish off on this expanded force - my original intention was 4 Divisions, 2 Garrison, 2 Minifigs, I've actually got 4 good sized Minifigs Divisions alone. As the Assyrian army was also 'just about' finished this year, Minifigs 'S' Range may be about getting both these armies completely signed off this year.

2017 really turned out to be the year of Garrison.

A few new moulds and suddenly I'm on a new frenzy...

Even started the Roman army I've been meaning to do for 10+ years - though of course I got distracted after two and a half units - so one 2018 project has to involve these.

Converting Garrison Greek cavalry into infantry gave me a good source of late Greek hoplites, plus lots of early Funken - style Persians and suddenly I'm converting camels, chariots and warwagons as DBA Greek and Persian armies start coming off the assembly line!  That lot should keep me going for another month or two. I've taken the opportunity to start expanding later Egyptians, perhaps I'll also look at my Garrison Assyrians as well.

Other possibilities? Sorting out Garrison and Minifigs PB Macedonians are obvious contenders. Another big project would be PB Indians - when I bought Harry's Indian army we cut a deal in which he threw in an extra 50-60 infantry and some cavalry figures. Harry can't count - there were 2-300 infantry figures... so could take a while. Plus, need to start painting some of the Vanha units I cast from the new moulds - especially a swordsman unit or two.

So, 2018 could be a pretty full year. Of course, that lot above doesn't allow for any 'distractions'. Finally, must try to post more often - my post count was quite a bit down in 2017.

6 comments:

  1. Most impressive armies and buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work for the year, looks as if you achieved a lot.
    all the best
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has generally been quite a productive year.

      Delete
  3. Great to see your ancients armies evolve on such an epic scale! I'm looking forward to more in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generation thing I think - the figures were originally designed to look good in larger armies and certainly do look better en masse.

      Delete