Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 8 February 2018

1897 the Guns

For obvious reasons I'm not doing as much painting and posting at the moment - other things occupying my time. So, looked for something quick and easy and settled on painting a couple of the guns.

The British at the time used the Maxim. I took an Irregular tripod mounted machine gun, chopped off  the tripod and fixed it on a Gatling carriage. At this point I remind myself 'toy' - wheels too small, no gun shield and no seat for the gunner on the trail. Long term though - I'll be looking at options.


The 40 pounder mentioned in the book is the 4.7" RML gun that remained in use until 1902. It's a Spencer Smith model, not particularily accurate but toy...

 Colour scheme for both guns is just a plain green. I think that the Maxim should have more of a natural wood finish, perhaps the 4.7" should be grey - could rethink colour schemes in the future.










3 comments:

  1. The 4.7 looks as if it's been set way too far back on the trunnions, Rob, but is otherwise a splendid model. As it was a naval gun bolted onto a scratch-built field carriage, my guess is that battleship grey would be the appropriate colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - but that's how it seems to be set up. Could try moving it forwards but that would have the gun shooting at the ground. Agree with the colour - think I'll strip it and redo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, what appears to be a modified version of this model appears on the Irregular Miniatures website... http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/images6/Brit%20+%20Ger%20WWI/Ger/Damn!%20we've%20been%20spoted.jpg

    ReplyDelete