Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 13 August 2016

Going to Work in Newhaven




I've started the 'official paper' playtesting of the combat and movement charts to see how they work in reality - later, I'll go to the board and check out how well the movement charts work. It may need two sets of movement depending on the scenario - some scenariois will just use one or two of my A3 boards, others may use the whole 6 by 4 foot set up and I'd rather have 2 sets of movement rates than just one that leads to a very, very slow game on the large table. Initially, I'm just doing them with the basic factors rather than adding variable dice rolls.

So, first one, Going to Work in Newhaven:


Being dependent on the tides, shipping on the Miskatonic is a twenty four hour activity. As a consequence, my job often required me to either start or leave work in the middle of the night.

From my apartment on West Street I would walk to Main Street, turning right at the graveyard. Past the graveyard, a left through Peabody Park was my usual route taking me to the river. Hence I would go right along the river, past the diner to the warehouses where I worked.

Being a good cautious Catholic, and well aware of possible night time travails, I naturally made a point of always carrying both pistol and crucifix! 
 

On the night in question I was due to start my shift at midnight. I left home early at a steady pace, intending to leave plenty of time for coffee and a light meal at the diner. It was a fine night, quite light with a full moon allowing good visibility. Though I naturally took my flashlight there was sufficient illumination even in those areas away from the few places covered by street lighting.

As I approached the graveyard I was aware of a presence. Drawn through the gates I could see a figure sitting on a large tomb. It appeared to be a girl or young lady; concerned for her safety I approached calling out to her. She faced me, moved off the tomb and approached. It was with a sense of horror I now noticed the wings… the being was a lamia! Quickly I held my crucifix before me as I retreated, feeling the pressure of the lamia’s will as it attempted to ensnare me… With a tremendous effort I threw off the pressure in my mind and managed to get through the gates. Fortunately the lamia appeared unable to leave the confines of the churchyard and I was free to continue.
 

(A lamia is classed as a monster with a (psychic!) attack of 3 and defence of 2. The crucifix and his faith meant that the worker had an attack value 3 and defence value of 3 against monsters - the crucifix is considered to be a hand weapon against a supernatural monster. Against a physical attack it would not. Assuming both sides throw the same dice score, the lamia attack (3) was met with a defence of 3 and the attack was a draw – it failed. The worker had an attack value of 3 against a monster defence value of 2 so his attack succeeded – the worker was therefore able to break away and continue his journey to work).

Gathering my breath as I walked through the park I was aware of the bushes and trees rustling. To my horror I realised that one of the trees was moving towards me… Again I was forced to beat a hasty retreat from danger. Happily, I had seen it in time and was easily able to outpace the monster and leave the park safely…


(Walking trees are classed as either large monsters or leviathans.  Depends on the size of the tree, but in a small park it’s a slow large monster. Still, if he had been trapped by it, His attack/defence value of 2/1 would have been a problem against the 4/3 value of the tree. Best to run and not get that close. This particular ‘incident’ caused me to look closer at the combat factors of leviathans and I have changed them.)

The walk along the river was happily uneventful – it had been several months since those stories about strange batrachian looking people attacking strangers. As I thankfully drank my coffee I resolved to leave Newhaven at the earliest opportunity, or at least move to the day shift – as it happened, an opening appeared shortly after in the company offices in Innsmouth, so I gratefully accepted…

No comments:

Post a Comment