Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 2 October 2017

Imperial Rome - first cohort

First full cohort finished, Praetorian cohort undercoated, Syrian archers cohort in line...

So the Roman army is on the move. Been meaning to do this army for at least 10 years!

First picture has the general's element in front complete with Eagle.

Next, the first of my cohorts. Quick paint job designed for service rather than good looks - didn't bother painting lightning bolts on the shields and the grey animal skins are meant to imply wolfskins.


Not really anything else to say about these. Pila would need work doing to them if I ever wanted to cast these commercially - it's bent because it snapped of during mould making and is therefore a bit wonky. Not great, but just about passes.







10 comments:

  1. Ancients isn't my period but these look like a proper serious unit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By far one of my favorite armies of all time, and yet every time buy one I sell or trade it before I paint it! LOL, One day I'm sure I'll find that (to me perfect figure) and actually get it done! So you have my respect for actually completing one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of others ahead of Rome for me. Actually had a numberof Roman armies in the past - Airfix in the 60s/early 70s, then Atlantic, plus an Irregular army in the 90s. Add to that a few odd Lamming. Quite a way to go with this one though.

      Delete
  3. Nice job, this red is truly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romans aren't really meant to be seen as individuals, its the Big Red Machine coming for you. These guys look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the main reason I went for this figure rather than a more 'action' pose likec the ones throwing pila. The Praetorian figures I'm working on at the moment are not as 'impressive' - for those I'm thinking of a brass/purple/black colour scheme.

      Delete