Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 18 December 2020

Some Christmas Persians

One of the 'delights' of Christmas is a rash of films on the telly showing various people, elves and grinches dressed in green, red, or both. Which set me thinking: Why not paint up a load of 42mm figures in red and green uniforms , possibly for Cadet Commander. Thoughts evolved and I finally thought about all those Persians I had lying around... so this is the last item of the year now that there's a tree in front of my painting desk...

And these are the Persians dressed up in a vaguely Christmassy Elvish colour scheme.
 
I didn't bother with any decorations on the costumes - just left them plain apart from the leopard skin pattern on the standard bearer.

Overall, it's quite an effective colour scheme that goes well with Persian outfits showing the same pattern material over arms and legs with a short sleeved blouse on top. It's a basic pattern I'll do more of in the future.

Incidentally, note that the archers have a spare bow... the original figure was the Garrison J/B/Sh light cavalry figure originally converted to a horse archer. As many Eastern horse archers carried a spare bow I kept the original bow in the bowcase of the horse archer conversion. When it came to then convert it to an infantry figure I just kept that idea for the infantry.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Better Persians in red & green for Christmas than Greeks bearing gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No objections to Greeks bearing gifts, but if it's a horse I'd certainly check out its mouth.

      Delete
  2. You can never have enough Persians. If all the 25mm figures ever made where collected into one army it wouldn't do justice to Xerxes force.
    Looking forward to your projects next year.
    I hope you have a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did try with Xerxes...

      And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  3. Very festive colours indeed Rob...

    Have a Merry Christmas and a Shiny New Year...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete