Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Fantasy Muslim elite cavalry

 

Have to be elite, no way this lot would ever settle for being some lowly militia outfit!

I've painted some Sarmatians with bronze horse armour; thought brass would be better for these but didn't like the result. Went for scale armour using alternate metalic colours instead - works well.

These figures are unusual - generally scaling figures up like this is a disaster. Thi lot, even though the paintwork isn't exactly neat or precise, still look good in my view! Really pleased with this unit. May not be an accurate depiction of Medieval Muslim cavalry, but like the look for a Fantasy unit.

Meanwhile, as these were close to finished, the next lot are on the table. These would make a town guard or militia...


14 comments:

  1. Impressive. I like how you have painted the scale armour on the horses using alternating brass and iron scales on a black background. I bet it took you ages. You have inspired me to copy this idea in the future when I get some cataphracts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of paint pens. You do a line at a time in one colour, the next line straight away in the other and so on. Compared to a paintbrush it's quick, easy and you get a good result. When I think of the time it used to take using paint for the method...

      Delete
  2. They look great with an 'attitude' as if they consider themselves elite too. Beautifully painted.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's now one of my favourite units, certainly in the recent past!

      Delete
  3. Most colourful and dramatic, lovely
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, definitely not militia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elite indeed, very nicely done, make for a great looking group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do - paint pens rule!

      Delete
  6. That's an effective colour scheme you've got there. I don't know what but it reminds of old Hollywood Muslim types from the Sinbad films or even the Longships, cracking stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning heavily on fantasy for all these figures - look good(ish) rather than accurate. So this one is very much 'based on' the originals rather than an accurate representation.

      Delete