Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 22 March 2019

Early Greenwood and Ball

As in, Greenwood and Ball themselves.

Greenwood and Ball were a partnership between John Greenwood (designer) and Katherine Ball (painter). In the days before the company was sold to Bill Pearce they produced figures in various scales, mostly painted by Katherine and a team of painters. The ranges included (from 1959 to - I assume - 1971) 20mm figures characterised by strips of lead soldered to the feet of cavalry so they could be used as infantry. Some of these were also produced by Scruby in the US.

I've only 'spotted' one lot of these for sale anywhere - course I grabbed them... several years ago and don't know why I haven't posted them yet.

Know nothing about these figures. Obviously Indian army/British colonial, mainly cavalry. So mostly I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
My total collection - bit smaller than most of my collections!

Figures include one who could be a General.

Sadly, I only have a few actual infantry. Pretty much every figure is different.

Cavalry can be used on foot as well as mounted.


They would make good ski troops.

A few more examples.





10 comments:

  1. I really am taken by the 'ski troopers'; charming is the only word to describe them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I've never seen these figures before. They are very good. Its a shame that they are no longer available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing - the only 'old' G&B models I've every seen were in the Teddy Bear Museum in Ironbridge... I wonder if they are still there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, Do you still have the G&B figures? If so would you consider a sale or trade? Eric estolzman115@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Garrison ranges. However, I don't have, for example, the 15mm ranges or 54mm ranges.

      Delete