Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 27 November 2020

Roman artillery

Firstly, let me say straight off that I don't like the Garrison ballista... which is why my Greek artillery all use RAFM. Likewise, I've also got some RAFM ballistae for the Romans, now I just need to cast some crew for them.

Completed as 2 stone throwers and 1 bolt thrower

I think it's fair to describe the Ballistae as 'crude'

To add a bit of variety I've included one crewman from the Greek range.

The far one includes the commander of the unit.

I've painted the two crew on the bolt thrower with empty hands a bit differently, again to add a bit of variety.










4 comments:

  1. Looks good Rob - I always thought the Hinchliffe artillery generally the best of the bunch but if those are RAFM pieces I have to say they look the business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are Garrison - my Greeks are RAFM - these were posted here https://easterngarrison.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-greek-artillery-train.html
      Hinchliffe started with 54mm artillery - always a strong point with them.

      Delete
    2. I've not seen those RAFM ones - very much field weapons and quite delicate - nice though. I have lots of the old Hinchliffe Roman artilery and a few Minifigs - which are not their best models really - and what I think might be Lamming. I have caught the restoration bug off you I think - just putting the finishing touches to a batch of Minifigs PB figures - I have a long way to go to catch up with your armies though!

      Delete
    3. RAFM have a really nice range - http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=SE I bought my Greek ones years ago and had originally forgotten they were RAFM - thought they were Garrison. I was quite disappointed when I found my mistake!

      Delete