Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 9 March 2021

Cthulhu

 I think it's fair to say I'm more of a converter than a sculptor. Still, one project I've been thinking of seemed worth a try - though it's also part conversion anyway.

Thing is, never found a decently sized Cthulhu. On the other hand, there was a toy octopus I had that I thought I could do something with. So...

So the basis of the 'Conversion'/scatchbuild was a toy octopus and the wings off  a toy dragon.

The body is a mix of plasticene, green stuff and wood glue oversprayed a couple of times with textured paint.

Size-wise it's a lot better but would have been a lot more impressive if it had been standing upright. Plenty of vegetation helps to hide the crude bodywork.

The bigger size shows better here. Now, it looks like a serious monster.

I think it's worth mentioning that my original thought was just to see if the project was practical - I hadn't intended to finish it it, just wanted to see if it would work. Hence the body is very crude and rushed. I also gave it tentacles as front limbs rather than arms. 

Personal view? Crude, not the best bit of modelling in the world, but effective and it works. It certainly gives me the incentive to do a more careful standing version later.

2 comments:

  1. I think it works very well, and the fact it's crawling along the ground makes it more gribbly to my mind. I have the same octopus waiting to be converted into the Chaos god Pyaray from the Elric books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work well - my main concern was 'will it still look like an octopus stuck on a body, or does the octopus 'disappear' into the overall model look'. The octopus disappears - it doesn't look like an octopus stuck on the front of a body!

      Delete