Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 30 August 2021

Increasing the herd

One of the vagaries of my Ancient armies is that I had a load of Minifigs elephants but only four Garrison. Thought it was time to redress the balance.
So the first part of this was to do a load of straight Carthaginian elephants. I've done them quite simply, no shields on the side or bowcases! At some stage this will allow me to take the howdahs  off my converted  Minifigs Carthaginians elephants so they can join the Indian army.

Plenty more to do - these 12 have been allocated to provide four Vanha elephants to supplement the mammoths plus eight that will be used as Sassanids or fantasy Persians.

Once this lot are sorted, my next lot will hopefully be a dozen to act as Atlanteans. 

Obviously, of course, just because I intend to follow this plan doesn't mean that I actually will...

14 comments:

  1. I remember converting Britains plastic baby elephants with howdahs to fight in my Airfix armies .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. Until I acquired Harry's collection I had a grand total of two metal elephants.

      Delete
  2. Wonder what the collective noun would be ? A stomp of elephants? Perhaps a random retreat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called a memory of elephants though I've always used herd.

      Delete
  3. People unkindly described Peter Laing 15mm war elephants as "angry field mice". http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com/2013/07/in-praise-of-peter-laing-figures-part-1.html
    Pictured here
    https://wargamehermit.blogspot.com/2013/07/15mm-peter-laing-elephants.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a brief foray into 15mm once but it didn't last long. Had a few early Peter Laing but can't say I really liked them.

      Delete
  4. I miss my elephants!

    One day I will paint up my 40mm Germania resin elephant. I just need to figure out how to fit it into my Prince Valiant setting. Might have the Huns borrow one from the Sasanid Persians....or paint a small Sasanid force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For fantasy armies, nothing to stop you using any Arab type and have a 'Prince Valiant visits Spain or North Africa'... Any Eastern army worth it's salt would have an elephant or two. Or the Huns could simply be a relic Cimmerian force that still had the odd elephant anyway.

      You can always fit an elephant in somewhere - and really should.

      Delete
  5. So many projects... so many elephants! Inspiring stuff as always - looking forward to seeing those Atlanteans too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Atlantian force was originally a way of soaking up a load of S Range figures - the elephant side stalled so is long overdue!

      Delete
  6. An impressive looking herd. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorting out an interim Review of my elephant herd but there should be a more impressive one once I've painted all this lot!

      Delete