Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 8 August 2021

'S' Range Assyrian army Review.

 So things like that pond are still taking up all my time... 

Put it this way, the original was about 6' by 4' and a bit under 2' deep. The present version is currently about 22/24' by 10/12' and up to 3' deep. It's taking a while to dig the thing out and stopping everything else. Had hoped to have had a casting session by now, it keeps getting put back..

That being the case, already did the Egyptians, so this time I set up the Assyrians. They have been covered before and not much added, just gave me an excuse to get them out! (To be fair, have been quietly painting a (very) few Japanese, but again figures that would normally have taken  a couple of days are taking a couple of weeks.)

Unlike the Egyptians these are not sorted into Divisions - just one glorious mixed up whole.

Also unlike the Egyptians this lot haven't been designated as 'finished' - still a few units patiently waiting their turn.

It's also an army that is not purely Minifigs 'S' Range. This lot are from about 1975-1978 and have Minifigs chariot bodies that I had 'updated' with Lamming horses, crews and wheels. At the time I was building a Lamming Assyrian army and used the chariot bodies to make 4 horse rather than Lamming 2 horse chariots - Bill was always happy to sell 'bits'. Really must paint the bases to match the current army.

Same basic style, but these are ones I did just a few years ago - all Minifigs 'S' Range apart from     Garrison chariot wheels. The armoured horses are 'S' Range cataphract horses. The general was inspired by the next lot.

The next lot are ones I got from Harry. The design looked good so I took it as a template for my 2 horse chariot force!

The spearman in this acts as the general for the 2 horse chariots - and is one of my figures painted back in about 1970. He would originally have crewed one of the 4 horse chariots from the first chariot picture.

Chariots painted by me from unpainted ex-Harry chariots. Some of these are crewed by Garrison 20mm I cast.

Finally some ex-Harry charioys credited to Ray McGarry but given Assyrian crews to replace their original Persian crews - this is, after all, the 'right' chariot for Assyrians!


6 comments:

  1. One of those things where I'm glad someone else has done it and I can admire the pictures 'cos I'm never going to do it myself now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which, of course, is the same as I can say about a lot of other people's work...including most of this lot!

      Delete
  2. A lovely looking army Rob…

    One of my favourite Ancient armies…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - the styles blend in quite nicely considering there were possibly at least four different painters.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous, but those heavy infantry units could do with beefing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got a 30 strong unit of heavy spears to 'integrate' from my original 70s forces...

      Delete