Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 20 July 2021

Retired for the third time...

 Just finished my last session of the year, and the last session ever as I am now officially retired for the third time. Number 1 was the enforced early retirement when the money for out of school tuition was devolved to schools and the County provision ended. Number 2 was was when I retired Garrison 7 years ago. Number 3 is now when I've ended my time as a sessional teacher working for one of the private companies providing provision for those same kids...

I've sorted through all the resources I've collected over the years - offered them to the people I worked for to provide things for other tutors, they'll be collected some time this week.

So more time for wargames? No way - more time for garden. This pond had been filled in over the years and the area around it was just a mass of brambles and nettles. Ground cleared, digging out the pond and I'll take to opportunity to make it bigger and deeper when I replace the old liner.

This is another cleared area that was part of my seed planting initiative. There are a couple of other similar areas dotted around.

So, even though no longer 'working' I should still be keeping busy!

13 comments:

  1. Pay or no pay, there is always work that can be done to keep mind and body going.

    I've just been dismantling some old chainlink panels leftover from when our side dogyard was larger, and shifting them to the other side of the house to erect a temporary fenced in exercise yard for some puppies. Feels alot like digging one hole and filling in another but its "all good".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even doing less an hour per session but doing 2-3 sessions a day it's amazing how much you can get done - and these days (I've been down to 2 sessions a week for a while) I can fit those in. Years of neglect getting sorted...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations and good luck with your new projects. I very rarely find time for my own garden, too busy toiling in other people's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of the garden as a 30 year project that I've just managed to get back to in the last year or so. Being in lockdown helped.

      Delete
  3. James Shepherd20 July 2021 at 17:21

    Good luck and congratulations,,,,,btw the Lamming moulds are up for sals.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. 10-15 years ago that would have had me checking my bank account...

      Delete
  4. I think the seed planting plot looks lovely, I can almost hear the bumble bees just looking at it. All power to your elbow with the pond, which will bring in even more wildlife.
    Are you thinking of buying the Lamming Moulds, or was that just an in joke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planting was probably 40% successful this year. As for wildlife, we have camera traps spread around our land - the other day the one facing the bit of muddy water in the bottom of the pond got a green woodpecker, spotted woodpecker (assume lesser) and jay in one photo... traps in the orchard area get hedgehogs every night but have also caught muntjac, foxes, a badger, squirrels and both woodpecker types. So they are quite an interesting hobby (this one is Sandra's, not mine!)

      No joke about Lamming mould, just info - plus the knowledge that I would have liked them?

      Delete
  5. Best wishes on your third retirement and good news that your books will not go to waste but go on being useful to more tutors and students. Lovely wildflower patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully wildflower patches will grow and develop.

      Delete
  6. James Shepherd21 July 2021 at 18:04

    No to buying the Lamming moulds, would be nice BUT too many projects in the go atm.
    He a good opportunity possibly.
    The price quoted seems small in the great scheme of things,if it was 9 months down the line, then tempted, but still sadly working, at the big T supermarket!
    And believe me they want their pound of flesh! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. More time for minis. I hope John got in contact with you re Garrison stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully more time for minis eventually...

      Re John, comes under the heading of helping people finish off collections, etc, so he has had some Romans and other stuff will be sorted once I get started on casting again.

      Delete