Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 2 July 2021

Japanese WW2 army Review

I've finally reached a natural point to stop and take stock of progress:

Basically got 2 full infantry platoons of 3 x 13 man rifle squads, 1 x 3 grenade discharger squad, plus command. So 1 platoon short of a full 1:1 company.Plus assorted tanks, guns and mortars.

One platoon all plastic, mainly (possibly all!) Airfix and Matchbox.

The other platoon has 2 metal squads, 1 plastic with a metal grenade discharger squad. A few of the figures are still plastic ones though.

I finished up doing 8 70mm barrage mortars - HMGs seem to be in 8 gun groups so it seemed reasonable.

Nominal company HQ - few figures missing but they are available if needed.

 So that's it so far. There are still a few omissions - need more HMGs and no field artillery - artillery is all battalion level - plus I like the idea of a couple of officers on horseback and a mule train. Possibly some on bicycles.  However, think this should do for the moment.

6 comments:

  1. James Shepherd2 July 2021 at 17:30

    Nice looking unit, can see the little yellow devils swarming across the board-Burma, China, Mongolia everywhere.
    The Hasegawa kit of the M3 Stuart light tank included in its stories a mounted figure of what I believe to be an American officer, but looked to me more like a jap.
    Somewhere in one of my sheds- aka painting studios, I have several of them.
    Let me know if you want one of two, I can post on.
    Regards and keep up the good work.
    Hoping to retire next year AND then my painting machine can swing into action!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer - got my eyes on the Frontline one, not sure how many yet - if I get really silly, commander plus one for each platoon, possibly one to go with the mortar teams and infantry guns... the thing has grown into a monster far, far beyond what I originally intended!

      So far I've retired twice plus a third at the end of term... early retirement at 59 when they closed down most of the County educational support teachers and gave the money to schools, 2nd when I retired Garrison nearly 7(!) years ago, third one at the end of this term when I lose my last sessional student.

      Delete
  2. A fine looking array! I have a feeling that an OOB like this could be extended into higher formations, e.g. each of your platoons representing companies or even battalions. But it already looks great for company-sized engagements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend not to worry about what the formation represents, but as my past armoured divisions consisted of 12 tanks then I would probably think of them as higher formations. I'm very flexible about such things.

      Delete
  3. Look out Hong Kong!
    or maybe that should be Look out Godzilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did originally start putting this lot together based on old stuff as a 'small' force to provide an extra opponent for my pulp British - the odd monster taking them on would seem to be a reasonable idea.

      Delete