Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 20 September 2021

Xerxes army - Cavalry Corps/lists

 This list will be added to the Pages Marines post and heading changed;

Corps I Persians and Sagartians, II Meded, III Kashites

Simply the Persian cataphract mounted on unarmoured horses. I have lots of Persian heavy cavalry. As yet, I don't have any Garrison Sagartians. I have time.

Corps IV Indians

This figure is normally painted in medium flesh tones as Egyptian horse archers and are basically my universal archer body on cavalry legs. Except now I've found the Arab camel post...

Corps V Bactrians (and Sacae?)

Bactrian cavalry were armed with a bow and short spear - converted from the J/Bw/Sh light cavalry figure.

Corps VI Caspians, VII Paracanians

Similar to the Bactrians but without the short spear and wearing cloaks.

Corps VIII Arabs (Camel Corps) 

Same figure as I used for the Indian cavalry but mounted on camels. I considered using two riders per camel as per the book but decided against it - as stated ' more usual will have been one rider/one camel.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Trouble being, that stands a chance of being literally true:(

      Still, two and a half years in, still around. That's a plus...

      Delete
  2. None of the armoured camel riders? The ones with spear and shield? Luckily, about a year before you stopped selling figures I managed to identify some riders as Garrison that I'd had since about 1985 and got the armoured camels along with some unarmoured ones. Not actually used them on the table yet!
    I feel a little desert action coming on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a 'standard' unit of Persian camels, just didn't match Herodotus and his Arabs. Strangely found a post of both the Arab camels (hadn't realised I'd done one!) so will update post with that. Meanwhile, my 20mm Persian camels are here: https://easterngarrison.blogspot.com/2017/05/garrison-camel-corps.html

      Delete
  3. This has certainly been one of the most colourful parades I’ve seen for a while…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persians tend to be colourful. Probably one reason I like them. (Probably?)

      Delete
  4. Beautifully colourful, as Aly notes. I especially like those Bactrians. Early dot(non) camouflage?!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditional Old School scheme - I tend to use the block colour with vertical front panel in a different colour for later Persians, but really can't pretend it's set in stone.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. On the wargames table, so do I. In real life, probably not so much.

      Delete