Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 30 September 2021

A Sassanid elephant Corps

Not really Sassanid... Carthaginian elephant, Vanha mahout, Achaemenid Persian howdah crew... except for Sassanid command groups. With all these Sassanid elephants and only a small Lamming Sassanid army for them to join I suppose I'm going to have to start a 25mm Sassanid army!

Arranged in two squadrons which I will call - the Gold squadron and the Silver squadron.

The Gold squadron is my least favourite, mainly because of the poor covering qualities of the gold paint. Two coats and still not right!

I also prefer how well the motif on the side of the howdah came out!

The original idea was to produce models that would do as both Sassanid or 'fantasy' Achaemenids. The howdah crew look as much like 70s Sassanids figures as Persian. However, for the Persians I had cast an 'extra' elephant which will be given archers from the 25mm Persian chariot and possibly a Macedonian mahout. After that, I've got four elephants to join the Vanha army to complement the mammoths.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good!

    I always undercoat gold with a gold/burnt umber mix to give it depth and a better shine.
    I was always very fond of my Garrison elephant, and my Persians. Probably why I bought my 40mm beast. Would have liked to build a Sassind army but was put off by the army list and didn't the money anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit, it probably was unreasonable for me to expect it to cover - and to be fair I have usually undercoated gold with a yellow or sand.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shiny toys…
    I thought I was doing well by painting one elephant…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but your one elephant is painted better...

      I ran out of bases; once the new ones arrive I'm going to do an elephant army Review. Now that will be spectacular! (I've got about 50 of the things painted so far :))

      Delete
  3. I am not sure why this works, but it works for me, using enamel or acrylic paint.Try a BLACK undercoat for your metallics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have tried black for gold and white for silver - it seems to reduce the problem but still shows through, just not as obvious.

      Delete