Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 17 September 2021

Xerxes army - Marine Corps/lists

 There are a few major differences between the infantry and marine forces. Firstly, sheer numbers. That will be obvious from the first picture. Secondly, equipment. Over half the marine units are equipped in  'Greek' costume. 

So, size. Let's start with a maximum. If Xerxes had 1,200 ships with 40 marines on each, the absolute maximum number of marines available would be 48,000 marines. In other words, about the equivalent of 5 elements in 'my' version of the army's organisation - 6 elements per Corps so that in a 'full strength' Corps each element represents 10,000 men, each figure a nominal 2,500 men. Where elements only have 2 figures, OK, it's an understrength Corps. Made life a lot easier when putting the army together! In the picture showing the whole army I've given them 4 elements. Shown by that little group on the front of the left flank...

Corps III Cyprus, V Pampylia, VII Caria, VIII Asian Greeks, IX Aeolia Greeks, X Pontus

I've started with the 'Greek' Corps because they represent over half the total, 6 out of the 10 Corps being equipped as Greeks. They probably wouldn't all be equipped as hoplites - Aeolians, for instance, I suspect would be more like psiloi or peltasts. The above units show my Carian hoplites on the right flank, then my original 1970 unit of Asiatic Greeks, then 2 units that came from Harry.

Corps I Phoenicians

Another one of Harry's units, Carthage being a colony of the Phoenicians I've used the Garrison Carthaginians to represent this Corps.

Corps II Egypt

Another of my original units from 1970. I admit I like this unit. The standard is by Minifigs.

Corps IV Cilicia

According to the book, the Cilicians wore the same costume as figure 20. Figure 20 is a shield design... but figure 41 is listed as Cilician dress. According to Herodotus they were armed with 2 short javelins, an Egyptian pattern sword and small shield.

Corps VI Lycia

One of my conversions, Greek armoured archer with Persian officer head and Greenstuff goatskin cloak. I also did a figure with a spear but it didn't cast well!

Corps VII Carians

OK, I covered these earlier but I like the Hollywood look. Carians had a cockerel standard - they had red helmet crests so that was their nickname!

Again, I'll put this lot on Pages for permanent display and add the cavalry list to it when I get round to them.

6 comments:

  1. I particularly like the Egyptians Rob, they add to the exotic nature of the host. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They help remind me of a past time when my eyes were better...

      Delete
  2. You have some classic figures there Rob…
    Splendid indeed…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much a classic group of figures, quite a few being original 70s pieces.

      Delete
  3. Classic figures in classic poses. A joy to drool over!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete