Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 19 August 2022

Monsters in my pocket - playtime!

 As far as painting goes anyway!

One of the things found in the attic was a big bag of (mostly Series 1)  Monsters in my Pocket. Very soft rubbery plastic, seemed totally unsuitable as a painting project, but some looked as they they could br useful figures. So I thought 'Why not'.

Results were variable, some showing a lot of paint cracking. The witch was worst and I took a photo of her after the first actual paint coat. Needed have bothered. The picture I've used has had 3 coats...

This is the one of the group I thought of as the most useful one - a cockatrice. Some cracking of paint, possibly still useful.

There were a load of figures that were basically humanoid monsters with large areas of bare flesh to paint. Surprisingly, these held paint better than the witch.

My assessment? Not all that good at holding paint but fun figures. If they had been of harder plastic, some would be useful. Probably best thing to do with them is let Steven paint up a few for Sarah to put on a shelf somewhere...

11 comments:

  1. Pity about the issue with cracking, Rob, the figures could have been a useful addition to Pulp/ fantasy settings.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, though to be honest I wasn't expecting much. They are very rubbery and bendy. The fact that some were sort of OK suggests that with a lot of preparation I could have gotten better results, but as a bit of fun lots of time in preparation would have spoiled it a bit. Having said that I might try again...

      Delete
  2. I remember collecting these as a child. Now I know where they got to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could try undercoating with a thin layer of watered-down PVA glue. Don't know if that will work but maybe worth a try?

      Delete
    2. I did. Plus matt white undercoat. Anyway, think I told you that one about PVA anyway!

      Delete
  3. Maybe. You have given me lots of tips over the years

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubbery plastic.....you will remember child hood toys made of that material? And most recently if you own a dog, pet toys made of a similar material. These all seen to be painted in places, with a paint or ink? which bonds into the plastic! Quite often, you can see a feathered edge to the colour , indicating it has been sprayed on. Now, twist it, pull it, chew it....the paint stays in place...

    ReplyDelete
  5. James Shepherd

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often wondered what type of paint has been used? Can only assume it is a special type, only applied in the factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the paint is staying on well once it's on - it's that cracking that's the issue.

      Delete