Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 12 August 2022

Garrison Spaceships, Eastern Front 1942

An update from Steven:

'Since my initial attempt, I’ve used the Garrison spaceships to test a couple more camo patterns for German tanks circa 1942. I want to do something like this, which I think is more interesting than plain Dunkelgrau. It was trickier to get the tones right than I expected. 

 

The next attempt was also a bust. The grey still looks too metallic and the green doesn’t stand out sufficiently. However, I do like the space base representing a (false colour and not actually realistic) nebula in the background. I used a piece of foam used ink miniature blister packs to dab red-brown and dark blue across the base. Each colour was highlighted with increasingly lighter dabs of the base colour, finished off with a very watered-down white flicked across the base. I also did a few more deliberate white dots to indicate brighter stars. It took about five minutes. 

I’m much happier with the next one and will try to transfer the camo scheme across to some tanks soon. Ironically, this took a lot less time and effort to paint. Broadly speaking, I followed this YouTube tutorial, followed by applying broad strokes of GW’s Zandri Dust across the model. The camo was semi-dry brushed on to reflect paint that had been roughly applied in the field.

Here are the three models together. They form a nice little squadron. I do feel like I should paint some up as actual spaceships, rather than as mere testers for tank camo. Incidentally, the wire used to attach model to base is a terrible way of doing it. If these were for a game, I would probably look into getting some proper flight stands in clear plastic. I imagine they wobble less.'


Comment from Dad re bases:

I suggest using brass tube - easy to cut using snips, different thicknesses available, can be bought from model shops or model railway shops and don't wobble. Tube rather than rod because it's easier to cut, lighter, and just as strong:


 

6 comments:

  1. I will be interested to see what scheme you end up applying to the Panzers, Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must say sorry to Steven... didn't realise that I hadn't made it clear it was one of his posts! I'll have to change it a bit!

      Delete
    2. I have started the panzers now, although with the speed at which I paint, it will be some time before any are finished

      Delete
  2. Looks effective - nice bases Stephen - the Garrison spaceships were state of the art when they were new. They stand up pretty well even today I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. They are making me think of doing a spaceship project... but, like every wargamer, I have such a backlog of stuff, and so many projects I want to do already.

    ReplyDelete