Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday, 27 August 2026

Lombard cavalry

 

Goth cavalry conversion with a long spear - so best match amongst the Gothic armies would be Lombards. Another unit like this and I have a complete DBA  army with 12 elements of Kn...

Simple conversion of a Sarmatian cataphract - remove the bowcase, add a sword scabbard and shield. Being a Gothic army, standard bearer is the Sarmatian standard bearer with a shield - I didn't bother losing the bowcase. 

At some point I'll do a few more  Goth conversions - infantry, probably use the Sarmatian infantry, change the shield and a longer cloak. I might put a 'coffin' shield together - the 28mm one I already have is too big but would form a good template if photocopied then reduced in size. Initial cavalry figure probably the same as for the Rhoxolani - cut down the Kontos as a javelin and give them a Gothic shield. Not sure where I'll source the archer from yet. 

In terms of time, this unit took about 3 times as long as any of the Arab units - I was painting them in tandem...


4 comments:

  1. They look super, very colourful, the shields really make them stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit that most of the shields worked really well. Paint pens make things like that so easy.

      Delete
  2. You could save some work on the coffin shields Rob. These days they are considered a piece of antiquarian imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, but the idea is to keep everything in line with the 70s Garrison/wargames vibe and coffin shields sort of fit into that.

      Delete