Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 30 April 2018

1897 42mm Size comparison

I've now got figures from 3 different ranges so it seems to be a good time to do a size comparison. As every wargamer knows, different manufacturers often have completely different ideas on what constitutes any particular scale, so there is always the chance of a '42mm' figure being anything from 40mm up to 45mm... or worse. On ebay I've seen 20mm figures described as 28mm on a regular basis!

So, Zinnfigur on the left, Irregular in the middle' Spencer Smith on the right. One thing I hadn't thought of when I took the photos is that I'm still only half way through the basing process! The result is that here the Irregular figure gives the impression of being bigger in comparison to the others than is the case.


Here, Zinnfigur in the middle. There is a definite size gradation - biggest Spencer Smith, smallest Zinnfigur. However, to me they are within the 'compatible' range.

Spencer Smith cavalry compared to Irregular. The Spencer Smith horse is far heftier but overall the two mix well.

So, no issues mixing and matching these really - though Zinnfigur and Spencer Smith together are close to pushing it!










4 comments:

  1. I find that when compared side by side the differences show up and things look off but once on the table that all goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are differences but well within the 'acceptable' range.

      Delete
  2. I am in the process of ordering my first 42mm figures so this comparison was really useful.

    ReplyDelete