Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 28 December 2018

What I did over Christmas.

For the first Christmas in years there was only my wife and myself around at Christmas. Cut a long story short, we decided to spend a few days away.

So, a 3 night stay at Titchwell Manor.

Good food cooked my someone other than me -  I mean, what could go wrong?

The answer being nothing - enjoyed every minute.

OK, could talk about long walks watching seals, egrets, geese, dead Chinese water deer, etc. However, most people reading this would be more interested in these:








Not sure what they are - very little left of two tracked vehicles. From the size of the remains, that 'spring'? on the suspension area and the history of Titchwell beach - WW2 training area - I  would guess at Universal Carriers but not totally convinced. Still, an interesting find.

6 comments:

  1. Rob, it looks very much like a Cromwell tank to me - or least the chassis. I'm going by the 4-bolt patterns next to the 'towing eyes(?)' and what looks like a shock absorber/spring from a Christie suspension system on one side. I'm not an expert and would like to hear from someone who could be definitive. If you have the dimensions that would help narrow it down. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally put myself in pictures but it gives an idea of scale - didn't have a tape measure with me! I was originally thinking tank, but it's only about 6-7' wide and 12-15' long - so fits the size of a Bren Carrier. The spring doesn't look completely right but it's rusted and generally been knocked about so...

      Delete
  2. A suggestion has been sent to me that they could be Covenanters - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter_tank#Surviving_vehicles
    Quite possible - my own very rough measurements could easily be underestimates, especially as bits would be missing length ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Christmas mystery! All in all,sounds like a wonderful way to spend the holiday.

    ReplyDelete