Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 17 December 2019

Casting ZinnBrigade Prussians

Back in May...2018... or thereabouts I ordered some Prussian ZinnFiguren moulds from Germany. What, with one thing and another, I finally got round to trying them out!
I bought 2 moulds - officer/marching soldier and 2 different firing.

Moulds are neat but I was originally concerned at the lack of air channels.

It didn't prove a problem. In fact, I needed a clamp to hold the moulds together - elastic bands just weren't enough. To spread the load on the rubber there are rigid 2mm mdf boards on the outside of the mould.

After just a couple of trials it worked - one thing, I found that metal temperatures had to be lower than for spin casting.

Initial trial batch - by the end of the holidays I hope I will have cast quite a few of these.




4 comments:

  1. I too find it takes a cast or two to warm the moulds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case it was more a matter of getting the metal temperature and pressure from the clamp right - first couple of attempts were basically flash with a figure hidden inside!

      Delete
  2. I've managed to cast a fair number of these over the last 15 years.

    ReplyDelete