Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 31 March 2022

Having a play - building a fort

Quite a while ago I bought a couple of bags of assorted wooden blocks, some of which were painted grey, partially flocked, and have appeared  on this blog before.

Other wargaming efforts having stalled, I came across the blocks and thought 'why not have a play'?

Very rough and ready, crude and lacking all finesse...

I simply started by by glued assorted pieces together to get a rough wall and turrets.

I started with 4 separate walls and put an outward facing of card. The parapets were originally set at 10mm, but I decided this didn't look right.

I increased the height of the parapets to 15mm - much better - and completed the final basic model. This was then covered in the standard dyed sand plaster I use for basing - originally this was a bit too thick, so I thinned it down. Then it was too thin!

The finished model is easy to store - the basic fort fits quite nicely into my standard Weston boxes for storage. I have loads of these - every now and then they sell them off at half price...

So, a crude, very easy fort to make. Don't know if I'll bother with gates on this model - the main idea was to have a play, but the end result was actually quite effective and could easily be dolled up.

Must do some casting...

14 comments:

  1. Excellent result. Very "forty" plus easy to store which is always an issue for terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how things go, but the basic 'manufacturing' idea seems to work.

      Delete
  2. I quite like your fort. It seems to me that the modular nature of it, besides making easy storage, means you could arrange the walls near a table edge to imply a walled city, perhaps enhanced with a few buildings placed behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on a couple of houses at the moment. It certainly has possibilities, walled town rather than walled city - I think a city would need crenellations.

      Delete
  3. Very useful and universal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seem to be very useful - and was easy to do.

      Delete
  4. What’s not to like about a fort…
    Getting a fort/castle for Xmas is what started me off in this crazy delightful hobby of ours…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really sure what started me off... it was a long time ago...

      Delete
  5. A fine fortification. Serviceable and versatile. I like the 'rough' look - but I'd call it 'weathered'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rough is a good word to use - it has a job to do and gives the impression it can do that job, rather than being a pretty accessory.

      Delete
  6. I like the simple design of the fort and the ability to easily store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm going to continue playing with this lot for a while and see where it goes.

      Delete