Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 20 May 2023

'Some cute animals'

More from Steven:

'Sarah recently bought me four animal miniatures from We Print Miniatures. They were a random gift because she liked them and wanted to see me paint them. Here they are! I made good use of my recently created wet palette and some of the paints I recently bought at Salute. The non-metallic metal paint sets from ScaleColour work well. They also have lots of applications outside doing NMM.' 

 

Figure 1 Cyber-cat. His fur colour and pattern are as close to those of my own Henry's as I could manage.

Figure 2 The backpack and bionic arm were painted using the NMM sets from Salute - copper and steel, respectively.


Figure 3 Meerkat Ranger. I think the desert/dry savannah base worked okay. It not easy to see in a photo but there is a subtle range of browns, sands and oranges mixed in.

Figure 4 Using the wet palette helped a lot with the wet blending on the cloak. Hopefully, the colour transitions are nice and smooth.


Figure 5 Chameleon wizard. I think the jungle base took longer than painting the miniature itself. With so much going on, it was very difficult to get the camera to focus properly.

Figure 6 The ferns and the straight leaves both came from a pack of laser-cut plants by War World Scenics. I also used some of their dock leaves on the Cyber-cat's base.


Figure 7 This is my personal favourite. Took ages to paint because of the NMM and trying to get the crab shell looking just right. As a marine biologist, I should point out it is based on the edible crab, Cancer pagurus (of Cromer crab fame). Hopefully the NMM bronze cannon worked. I used a turquoise wash in the recesses to represent the patina and give an old, worn look.

After finishing the above, I have been practising with the airbrush. I have so far tried painting a couple of figures from the Garrison Admins range. I wanted to see what I could do using an airbrush exclusively. A ‘normal’ brush hasn’t touched either of them at all. I’m sure I could make them better with a bit of normal painting, but I’m keeping these early attempts as a time capsule to see how I progress. My level of control over the airbrush is much better than it was when I started the hunchback.

 

Figure 8 Hunchback. A rare miniature which has increasingly grown on me after I finished. The airbrushing lends an odd sort of 'smoky' effect to him. (VIC19 Igor, hunchbacked lab assistant/AD206 Hunchback)

Figure 9 No idea what this is. A cross between a goblin and the Michelin Man? Anyway, it was interesting trying out the green and blue mottled effect. (AD239 Egyptian Mummy Toot-And-Khamin)


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work there, the figs look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those aint jobs are stunning - the crab and the meerkat ranger are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. They were fun to paint

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fun miniatures, they have come up splendidly.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, yes they quite different

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work, whimsical and good brushwork and topnotch basing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, yes I tried to make the bases fit the figure

    ReplyDelete