Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 30 May 2023

The Muckleburgh collection

 Don't know how often I've been past this place over the years, but it must be 20 years since my last visit - or more. So, Steven visiting and wanting to see the Muckleburgh collection, we paid a visit.

This is the entrance. Over the visit I took 217 photos, so I'll haveto ration the number of pictures in this!

There is always a vehicle of some kind parked out front. The current one is one of the ZSU series.

The outside of the main building doesn't look like much, but it is quite deep!

That nose cone you can see in the buildings pictures belongs to a V1 parked outside.

These are the workshops in a field facing the main building - qute a lot of vehicles parked down there waiting to be refurbished.

This 12 pound naval gun is parked outside the building by the entrance.

There's a Harrier GR3 parked behind the V1.

Plus a few other guns and things outside.

Inside, lots of displays, photos, diaramas, models, etc... I'll let the next few pictures tell their own stories!














Lots of nice ship models, though sadly a lot of my photos of these turned out a bit blurry.





Lots of assorted vehicles and guns to see, though the way they were displayed meant some proved difficult to get good photos of.








And of course there is somewhere to have a cup of tea and a crab sandwich!


12 comments:

  1. I visited the collection about 15 years ago - very impressive displays , I'm glad to see it's still on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it used to describe itself as the biggest privately owned collection in the country. It's certainly well worth a visit.

      Delete
  2. Even before your comment about it being hard to get a decent picture, Rob, I had already thought that the collection seems a bit crowded in to the available space...which is probably necessary but a bit of a shame...even the cabinets of model vehicles and aircraft suffer from this problem. Still looks like a good place to visit if in the area but I am left with the impression, it could be a whole lot better......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space is at a premium. I recall from my last visit they had a nice collection of old Skybirds - that seems to have gone. They have a lot of outside space and although they do take things out for demonstration purposes I do feel they could do more in the way of outside exhibits, certainly in the summer months.

      Delete
  3. I've been nearby ( e.g. Cromer ) a few times but never stopped in, must do so in future!
    You say "quite a lot of vehicles parked down there waiting to be refurbished" - I think that gives a whole new meaning to the idea of 'the lead pile'..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though to be fair, numerically the average tank wargamer is liable to have more vehicles in their lead pile than the museum has :)

      Delete
  4. James Shepherd30 May 2023 at 20:43

    It's a great place, was thinking when I visited there would not be big collection.....and then you realise it's massive.well worth going to, I plan a visit again this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a large collection - and it's grown since my last visit.

      Delete
  5. Great museum - though I was last there 20 years ago! The ZSU is a 23/4 'Shilka'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep thinking I should go there more often!

      Delete
  6. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been…
    It is a splendid collection of big boys toys.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete