Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 20 January 2019

Army Review 2019 - the Greeks

Finally done.

There are a few 'restrictions' to this Review. Firstly, these are figures allocated to the Greeks. It doesn't include my Asiatic Greek hoplites - Ionian, Carian, other Asiatic. Those are part of the Persian forces. Nor does it include a load of figures allocated to the Atlantean army. Charles Grant collection are likewise excluded as I don't tend to think of them as being part of my armies - they're part of the Charles Grant Collection.

One other restriction, again as part of my allocation to specific armies. With the exception of the Spartan cavalry, all Minifigs cavalry are listed as part of the various Macedonian armies and only Garrison figures have been allocated to the Greeks. Some other Minifigs Greek cavalry have been allocated to Atlantis. To be fair, there's enough of the things to let me do that!
Hoplites plus cavalry and some of the peltasts.
The army set up including light infantry screen. All the light infantry with light green bases are ex-Harry. All but two of the cavalry units are 'mine'.
 
I put the artillery in front - Garrison crew, RAFM machines, not sure how old, 70s or 80s? - the crew are 70s, no idea when the machines date from. Most of my RAFM stuff would actually be from the 90s when they were imported by Robinson Imports(?) of Northern Ireland.

I haven't the faintest idea of how many of this figure I have - some as 2 to a base, some with 3. Including masses from Harry, loads of the Grant ones and mine I think the final figure is in excess of 300! Nowhere near that have been put to use.
Ex Harry cavalry, this lot have been converted from shielded to shieldless.

The front base of peltasts are survivors from the 70s. The next lot are Thracians converted by the simply expedient of painting trouser-legged Dacians as bare-legged. As far as I am aware this figure was never released by Greenwood and Ball.
And of course the obligatory photo of some that haven't been 'processed' yet.
So the army on display consists of 626 hoplites, 92 peltasts, 114 light infantry, 125 cavalry, 2 generals and 3 war engines - just under 1,000 figures covering roughly 4' x 4' of the table. 







4 comments:

  1. That is an astonishing collection Rob - thank you for posting this and for the very interesting snippets on the sources and related collections. I hope you have a very large battlefield for that lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's what's described as 'an eclectic mix.' The new battlefield is just under 12' by 4' but once all the Reviews are done - probably Macedonian, Seleucid, Achaemenid Persian, Egyptian and Assyrian - I intend to set up Newhaven as a permanent thing on one half and use the other half for other battles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is impressive!!I can only imagine the amount of work that´s gone into that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of work by a lot of people over a lot of time! Strangely, the light infantry javelin was difficult at first - no master, had to 're-create' it from one of my original army, got mould made, started casting loads for me - then acquired 2 collections, Harry and Grant (via Harry) - suddenly had hundreds of the things!

      Delete