Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 25 November 2019

Current phase of Indian army complete!

Done and based. Started this around the beginning of the month and have now produced:

2 x 48 medium archer units
1 x 18 strong light medium  archer unit
1 x 12 strong light infantry archer unit.
2 x 24 strong medium javelin units
1 x 12 strong light infantry javelin unit
Total 186 infantry.

(Completed) 1 x 12 man extra heavy cavalry unit
1 x 12 man light cavalry unit
2 x 12 man medium cavalry units
Total 48 cavalry (but also did 1 x 12 man Egyptian heavy cavalry unit as well)

3 x 6 man 4 crew heavy chariots.

Which is not bad for 1 month!

Looks a lot when you look directly down on them

A more normal view.

'New' medium cavalry. I've cheated a little bit. By painting them with blue saddle cloths and plumes, plus giving them cowhide shield covers, they don't look too different from Kushites. Of course, Kushites are mounted on sand bases rather than green, but...

Second unit of flower shielded infantry plus unit of light infantry added.

The archer serves three purposes - bulk line infantry, light medium as mercenary archers and standard light.

So that is effectively the Indians complete apart from a new crew for the 2 horse chariots - another 10 figures and that's it. Once I've painted them I'll do the full army review.








9 comments:

  1. Every Kushite soldier must cross an oasis or Nile river bank at some point in his life.

    looking good though. Now, what about the 20 elephants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the fact that the rest of army brought the sand with them!
      On elephants, got 9 of the things, but have got a load of 'Carthaginian' ones, far more than I need, it's crews... might be able to dredge some up...

      Delete
  2. A wonderful force! They remind me on an Indian army featured in an article on painintg armies rapidly that was in an early issue of Miniature Wargames way back in the heady early 1980s. #6 or #7 I think. Must check this evening.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly used 'rapid' painting techniques - main one being to spray the brown on for the skins and being happy to use that one coat as the colour for both men and horses.

      Delete
  3. Inspiring stuff Rob - the whole aesthetic is very liberating and the sense of colour is lovely too. Have you ever thought of putting on an 'old school' battle at Partisan or some such - forgive me if you already have and I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think the answer to that is never thought about it. My last involvement with conventions was back in 1978 when I was secretary of Liverpool Wargames Association and North West Regional Organiser to the National Wargames Championships. Apart from with my son, last non-solo game was around 35-36 years ago when Steven entered a tournament in Conventry (my last competition game was against Phil Barker - I won :)). At Partizan and Salute I generally just wander around and let Steven play the games. So not really sure I would want to put anything on these days.

      Delete
    2. Oh, forgot about playing Cadet Commander at Partizan last year!

      Delete
    3. Yes I am mostly for wandering around for a bit and catching up with old mates over a cup of tea. Being tied to a table is a bit much. I do not mean literally (although that would be a bit much too!). Good scalp to have - though it is a well-known fact that games designers never do well at their own games - at least that's my excuse ;)

      Delete
    4. The obvious answer is to design more solo games. As for scalps, he's killed me more than I've killed him so...

      Delete