Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 7 April 2022

More experiments.

 Fort finished (unless I do more buildings for inside it) I thought I'd start work on a village to go with it.

The first two. These would be suitable for what amounts to production line manufacture.

Domes were an Islamic feature so this type of building shouldn't (shouldn't...) be useful for Ancients, just pulp. I gather that domes were used more on religious/'official' buildings rather than village/town houses, so may only make a couple of these at most - this one would do nicely as a small, rough built  village church. The blue colour is pure Santorini...

Buildings in progress. Being village rather than fort I haven't tried to bulk up the walls with plaster. This also makes them easier to make! The dome is made from a polystyrene ball, easily obtainable from craft shops. I used these for teaching before I retired so again I have a number lying around.

Instead of making these around wooden blocks, these were based on Weston business card boxes. I have loads of these lying around - when doing Garrison they were used to keep stock figures in. As a result, on closing Garrison I had surplus boxes that hadn't been used yet, plus boxes that aren't needed to store figures in any more. Not only are they the 'right' size, they could also be used in multiples to build more complex buildings. They're also lighter than wood!

So this is a project that's going along nicely. Doing it purely for the sake of doing it - can't pretend I haven't already got enough buildings these days. But then, I tend to think that, in a hobby, doing something just for the sake of doing it is a major part of the fun!

4 comments:

  1. Yes that really is the point of a hobby isn't it? Easy to forget sometimes.

    Another good thing about this sort of building is they that can fit in over the centuries so another setting for pulp etc etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to the old dictum - You can never have enough of something you didn't need in the first place. Plus, as you say, they should be useful in so many ways.

      Delete
  2. Like the buildings, worked very well. Good to make stuff , therapeutic l find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That therapeutic angle is very true. Painting figures has virtually stopped for now - hopefully when cataract gone might be better - but messing about with card and plastic buldings, trying to stop things sliding around before I can get the elastic bands in place to 'fix' things - yes, it is very satisfying.

      Delete