Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 11 July 2023

Exterminate...

 Having picked up those Crooked Dice figures, including a bunch of  'not U.N.I.T.' soldier  I naturally started looking for cheap Daleks... And found 100 assorted Dr Who figures on E Bay for £55 - at 55p a figure, how could I resist?

The figures drying after a detergent wash and rinse.

27 Daleks. These are 3 part castings made of a harder plastic than the other figures. I would find it hard to believe that they were all made by the same manufacturer. One thing I would suggest everyone looks at is the web comic Second Empire - the videos I hadn't noticed when I first came across the comic, it was a few years ago! (update re these -found this blog post about the figures)

Cybermen. Softer, more 'rubbery' plastc than the Daleks. Only 16 of them so not much chance against the Daleks. But then, if 1 Dalek could defeat 5 million Cybermen, and if fighting Cybermen is not war, just pest control... One of my favourite Dr Who scenes!

Sontarans. Again, slightly rubbery. Look useful if paint sticks.

Weeping Angels in two poses. Again, very soft plastic.

Silurians. Not very detailed but (again with that painting caveat) should be useful - a few more of these would have been nice.

Judoon. Probably the least impressive figures, they don't really 'look' right.

Ood. I can see me using these as Lovecraftian figures. The pose seems just right for them!

The silence. Again, pose suits them.

Size comparison against a Crooked Dice 'not U.N.I.T.' soldier that I was in the middle of painting. Mainly started painting them after I won the E Bay auction. Which stopped me working on some other Crooked Dice figures I was painting. Me all over.

Obviously I need a generic spaceship for this lot. This is my first thought...

5 comments:

  1. To have tried to resist would have been futile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < headslap> arghhhhh. Its been too long a time, watching too little tv, when I start to mix up Borg with Daleks and Cybermen.

      Delete
  2. What a fine purchase Rob…
    Nobody makes Mechanoids though… probably because nobody remembers them 😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering Mechanoids were originally touted as the Dalek's nemesis They never (as far as I remember) reappeared after that one adventure, though seems to have featured quite a bit in various comics, etc. They might be quite easy to reproduce in small numbers though. Polystyrene balls with triangles of card covering the surface? Not sure how good it would look.

      Delete