Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday, 24 September 2026

Fantasy elite heavy cavalry

 

In various army lists most of the cavalry are listed as heavy cavalry so I decided to do a unit of irregular elite/noble cavalry unit. Also, when I did the original unit of elite cavalry I hadn't sorted standards - so I included a command unit for them as well.

It's the shields. In conjunction with paint pens I think they're fantastic - I'm now regretting not using these shields for all of the Arabs/Turks.

Command stand for the elite regulars with horse armour - can be used as a general as well.

The big standard isn't listed in any specific range. The original flagstaff was very flimsy so I cut it away and just glued the standard directly to the kontos of the figure. The triangular standard is from the Sung Chinese range. The rider looks a bit lop sided - didn't notice that until I saw the photos, the figure itself looks as though it's simply angled back.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking unit and I see what you mean about the shields, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make a spectacular difference and are so suited to the use of paint pens.

      Delete