Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 19 September 2019

3,000 ship models - Chatham Dockyard

Last time I went to Chatham Dockyards I found that they had 3,000 (mostly) 1/48th scale  builders models of ships. Sadly, they aren't usually on display... This time when I went there was an 'open day' /conducted tour...

Good news, you are allowed to take photos.

Bad news, personal use only, can't use them on my blog.

Good news, the National Maritime Museum ship model collection can be viewed on line and those pictures can be posted on my blog! Not very practical to put over 7,000 pictures here, posting a couple of random images should be enough - for the rest, best to search the original site.

One thing about the photos I took for myself - it gave me a few ideas and I think I'll be starting on a not-really- 1/76ish 'pre-dreadnaught' battleship   based on  the Fuji of 1896. Another possibility is a cross between the Fuji and a 3-funnelled cruiser whose name I didn't record! At over 400' long a true 1/76th scale model would be a bit bigger than my wargames version that would be a foot or - actually, a foot is roughly how long the beam should be.

The first picture is one of  four scalable pictures of the Fuji in the picture archive, others just random.









4 comments:

  1. I can't see how your blog WOULDN'T be personal use. You're not using it for an ad campaign, so it should be fine, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - a blog is in the public domain and my own photos can only be used for personal research. I'm not allowed to publish them for other uses. It's a bit strange and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure that they are legally correct - age-wise I suspect many of the models are way out of copyright but with so many of them available on their own website I'm certainly not going to argue the toss!

      Delete
  2. A taste... merely a taste. I imagine one could spend hours looking at the rest of the models!

    ReplyDelete