Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 4 October 2019

Underground Adventures?

Not all scenarios are above ground. There are secret underground passages, catacombs and cave systems. So I started thinking about one. How to generate the cave system? Simple. An old game I had called Sorcerer's Cave.

Everything sorted. Except... couldn't find the game. Still can't.

Anyway, problem solved. roughly drawn items on A5 and A4 2mm mdf sheets!
Not exactly major works of art, but they do the job.

They are designed so that the A4 and A5 sheets can join together allowing for bigger chambers.

It would be possible to add 3D terrain features and walls, etc, but doubt I'll bother - likewise, just used permament markers, could paint over them properly. Again, they do the job and I don't consider it a worthwhile improvement.


Sorcerer's Cave personal trivia: Back in the 70s, when I used to go round a lot of convention, Ian Beck and I were passing Phil Barker when he showed us the prototype of a new game 'some Scottish lads' had developed and were trying to put out. Naturally, the 'hero' character had to be Phil acting as Conan. Anyway, Ian and I  went through this dungeon until we came to a cavern with a bear in it. We tried to befriend it, failed and continued further into the system until stopped by a rock fall, so went back. When we reached the cavern with the cave 'Conan' had befriended the bear and, to cut a (partially forgotten) story short we decided to attack. Phil kept saying 'but you can't win, it's going to kill you' He just didn't seem to understand why we would want to go for it!  Can't remember now which of us tackled the bear and which of us tackled  Conan. That game, I'm about 99% certain, later came out as Sorcerer's Cave - if it wasn't, it was about as close as you could get!

5 comments:

  1. Good story.

    So, the first bits simply that you aren't planning multiple physical layers of tunnels and caves under your wargame table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. arggh there is not supposed to be an "s" in imply........

      Delete
    2. Not at first - keep it simple and add other layers in future if required. On the other hand, if the random placement means two boards appear on top of each other that would give me multiple layers by default.

      Delete
  2. I used to have Warhammer Quest that had an excellent set of cardboard tiles for rooms and corridors and an accompanying set of card that you drew to see what was beyond each door. I no longer have it but you might pick up a cheap copy on eBay or similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son has masses of D&D and Warhammer stuff stored at our house - I could look through them all but had the mdf sheets anyway so seemed like a good option - plus I can expand it as I like rather than relying on ready printed stuff. Sorcerer's Cave itself also appears on ebay.

      Delete