Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 31 October 2019

Garrison G3 Hoplite Review

I've been over all the G3 units now and updated them all.

216 G3 hoplites in total.

The front row are 'my' figures.

This is the lot I finished in January.

And the ones just finished.

This lot are from just before I bought Harry's collection and was experimenting with coloured filler for bases. At the time I intended to detail the bases but the huge influx of figures that needed rebasing from Harry made that idea non-viable. Bases were originally a dark earth colour so I've just repainted them. Note that this unit has been painted with individual iron scales. Takes time but usually looks good.

These four units are all ex-Harry - my intention was to have 48 strong hoplite units, getting 18 24 figure Greek units from Harry dented that thought!

Ex-Harry with Spartan shield design. No work needed.

This lot have been rebased.

This lot just needed a couple of figures reglued to the bases.

Nothing done with these - might do a couple more units with different shield designs later.

My original G3 unit, didn't do anything with it - probably really needs to be quietly retired - it dates back to 1970-72. Some of these I got from Pete Harris (author Tercio rules as used in several National Wargames Championships) - Greenwood & Ball suddenly changed to their new 25mm Greeks and we were part way through finishing units - so we swapped, I got Pete's G3s, he got my G2s.

5 comments:

  1. That's a scary amount of Hoplites is anythingone going to take them on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's about a 1000 phalangites lying around...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why 'retire' perfectly acceptable figures? Sell them, yes, so someone else can enjoy their use. Retire seems to mean 'bin!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retire means put to one side and forget about them... selling 'surplus' mfigures is something I should do anyway but don't - part lazieness, I suppose part not wanting to get rid of anything. In general, I have enough figures lying around as 'replacements' that I don't really need anyway. Falls under the 'how can you have too much of something you don't need anyway'.

      Delete