Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 4 June 2021

Duncan MacFarlarlane RIP

It has been reported on Facebook and TMP that Duncan has sadly passed away:

https://www.facebook.com/WargamesIllustrated/

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=550118

I don't actually have a photo of Duncan  that I've taken - he hated having his photo taken - but found this one by Wargames Development on the Internet:

The Independent Wargames Group: People who influenced your wargaming. 2

Duncan is the one in the black tee shirt. This is the only picture that came up on a Google search!

Best known as a magazine owner and editor (Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated). Many people will remember him going around Partizan every year taking pictures! 

 I honestly don't know how long I've known him  - early 80s? late 70s?. Always got on well with him. The rest of this consists of possibly faulty memory!

OK, couple of stories: Garrison used to own a range of 25mm starship figures that looked a bit like Star Wars. Duncan bought the range, did nothing with them and all the moulds and masters were lost. People started asking me about about them, I asked Duncan if I could produce them, immediate ''Yes, I'm not going to do anything with them'. Next one, at Partizan one year talking about figures, Duncan mentioned they still had a load of the current free entrance figure left, said 'here' and promptly gave me a load! - it was the policeman figure, really need to paint some up for Newhaven!

I remember there was a time when there was supposed to be a feud between Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated. Talking about it to Duncan he just shook his head and said that he still had a half share in Miniature Wargames, why would he have a feud with himself?

Never had anything published by Duncan, though quite a bit in Miniature Warmames after he left, however I did get a three article series accepted by him - for two years it kept getting pushed out 'can't fit them in, they will get published' - finally I just basically said best to withdraw them, which I did and placed them in Slingshot. Duncan just shook his head, mentioned the difference in circulation figures , and said 'I was going to publish them!'

So a sad loss to the hobby. Duncan will really be missed.

8 comments:

  1. Duncan published quite a few of my articles from late 80s to early 2000s. I even had one in the short-lived Wargames World. His slightly chaotic approach to these things added to the charm but eventually got too much for me and I stopped writing for him in, I think, 2004. Always a friendly word when I bumped into him at a show, though. Sad to see he is no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaotic is probably the reason he hadn't published my articles after two years - a series of 3 probably needed more forward planning! But yes, chaotic described him at times. Or laid back.

      Delete
  2. Sad news indeed. I used to spend hours poring over Miniature Wargames as a callow youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are responsible for both of the 'best' magazines over a 20 year or so period, that's an achievement.

      Delete
  3. A sad loss but a good legacy. It was a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad and unexpected. He used to look away from me at one point in the 90's as he had the Hinchliffe fantasy moulds (he'd had castings for sale at at least one or more shows) but obviously got tired of me asking about them! I did have a drink with him on at least one occasion (Salute) and he was as affable as ever. A sad loss to the hobby and his family.

    On an aside, that Partizan Policeman mini is one of my faves of theirs. I have a few and, like you Rob, will one day get around to painting some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think on that day he had a load he wanted to get rid of and just gave a handful to anyone he knew!

      Delete