Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 30 April 2024

Assyrian/Shem cavalry done.

Painting these seems to be very slow work! Anyway, 15 strong unit with 2 command groups...

The Shem HoTT army needs 5 cavalry elements so I painted an extra one. By making the extra one a command base I have the option to use them as 2 separate 2 element units in the Assyrian army.

That means I now have a complete Shem HoTT army so everything else I do is pure Assyrian. I'm currently starting some 4 horse 3 man chariots simply by sicking an extra 2 horses on the figure base. Much as I would like to make them 4 man chariots, the cab is just too small!

13 comments:

  1. Nice colourful unit, they will look good on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. That's the trouble. You get sucked in. It's going to finish up as a 2-300 army again, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. They look good! I take it you are going for a Hyboria campaign using HoTT armies - interesting plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You give me too much credit. I have moulds, I have armies still to do, I like having Reviews of mass armies...

      Delete
    2. The army reviews are indeed impressive! :-) I hope to emulate some day.

      Delete
    3. Well, you've got enough figures...

      Delete
    4. lol! Not even close! ;-)

      Delete
    5. Oh, you have. It's just that your current forces are designed more for wargaming rather than reviews. So you have lots of decent armies. For mass reviews, you need mass armies. Base an army around a single idea. Example: hoplite army - several hoplite units. Persian armies, several sparabara armies, most armies in general would be based on several infantry or cavalry units of a single type. You can have a good review with 100 figures, better review with 200. I will agree though... I do go overboard with 1,500 reviews - table isn't big enough for bigger - and YOU CAN do one of those. "Conan reviews his Aquilonian Empire" where you have all your figures as contingents in the same way that I did with Xerxes!

      Delete

      Delete
  4. A fine looking unit Rob…
    The shields have come out particularly well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do most Assyrian shields like - got a method :)

      Delete