Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 3 February 2019

Forgotten armies

Not so much forgotten as bought for a purpose, used, put to one side, neglected ... as well as forgotten (as in, not thought about).

A bit of background. Back in the 90s/early 00s I was heavily involved in running a school wargames club. As the kids didn't have figures of their own, were very GM biased regarding rules and mythos, plus not wanting to use my own figures I looked for cheap/easy ways of providing figures.  A Warhammer Imperial army fit the bill; further Irregular Miniatures did a good range of usable (and cheap) figures.

So, lots of black undercoating and quick drybrushing later I had a usable Imperial army. This army saw a lot of rough handling over a few years so it's currently messed-up state is very understandable!

At some stage I also digressed slightly - started some Burgundians, bought some Lamming Reiters, etc, but mostly they came later.
The army as it stands.

Lamming Reiters - easily the best painted unit in the army!


The pikes did the job. Believe me, this is one of those rare occasions when the picture looks better than the actual figures!

Not sure, but I think I bought these ready-painted from Irregular. The unit is in very poor condition today.

Burgundian bombard. There's a unit of Minifigs xbowmen lying around somewhere...

Drybrushing works quite well with artillery

Story behind an English Civil War gun in this army.... Back around 1972-3 one of my friends bought me it as a birthday question. Not knowing much about the figures, the crew were Lamming Napoleonic British Horse Artillery.

Irregular pretty generic large cannon - think loading it with that cannonball is a bit optimistic though.





4 comments:

  1. For a quick mostly dry brushed army - it’s lookinh pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think Irregular brush up pretty well, although they are no longer the cheap option unfortunately. Nice to see some Renaissance figures on the blog... my favourite period I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a lot of cheap Irregular figfures over the years - these days it's their 42mm Colonial/etc ranges.

      Delete