Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 14 February 2019

Cyrus repaired

Ages ago I posted about dropping my 'original' 1975 Hinchliffe/Lamming 'Cyrus in a chariot.'  Can't find find the post now, or the pictures of the damaged chariot - think they must have been lost back when all my pictures started randomly vanishing from the blog.

However... I have finally gotten round to fixing it...
This is a picture of Cyrus before he was broken. Old and even then showing some signs of wear - the whip held by the charioteer was already broken. Actually Cyrus is virtually out of view behind the charioteer - too busy reviewing troops to be bothered about photos.

Repaired version - new whip, new reins, though vestige of the old reins still there - just looks like extra harness.
Front view shows deliberate armour differences. I've given Cyrus larger, flashy Nouveau-rich armour plates while the Mede charioteer has a more sophisticated armour using smaller plates.

And another view. In deference to the original the base has simply been flocked.


It's one of those times when I've got lots of stuff to post. Just bought some more unpainted figures from Harry, plus some interesting painted chariots - so 2 posts there - plus finished the second Athenian hoplite unit, plus more Garrison Persian cavalry... so hopefully I'll be putting out a post a day for several days! The future is also a bit crowded. I think I'll do a Thermopylae scenario, and I've got 2 firm and 2 ideas for Newhaven. Should be a crowded Spring, especially as I also hope to do more Army Review type pieces.


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Agree - my painting ability has slipped since those days!

      Delete
  2. All brand new and shiny looking - nice. Was the spherical headgear used back then - does anyone know? I had always assumed it was a Sassanian 'thing' but that's only because that where it appears in the Hinchliffe range - if not I'll do some to oppose my Macedonians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically Mede headgear. The Sassanid spherical headgear is the one most people disagree with these days.
      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.dSorsV4a-skGbmlajAYAoAHaEo&pid=Api

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, really a bit early to face Macedonians though. Which has never bothered me.

      Delete
  3. A lovely chariot Rob. Its good that you have been in touch with Harry. I would love to see him re enter the hobby his blog is a sore miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I mention that I would have preferred to see him buying rather than selling. He is a big miss.

      Delete