Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 22 May 2019

Health update

Paid my first visit to Out Patients since my hospital stay. Basically, responding to meds, some have been reduced, well on the way to remission. Weight and blood pressure fine, Vitamin D and proteins nearly there. Blood sugars staying in check and no signs of getting diabetes.

So... two things wrong with me, I'm producing antibodies that are fighting with my immune system and there are some filtration issues with my kidneys. The situation is not curable and even with full remission can return.

'Shorter' term I'm on 'light duties' and will continue to have memory/confusion/lethargy problems until I'm effectively off meds - it's the meds that are causing most of the physical/mental effects, lots of steroids and water retention tablets. I asked about 'fit for work' as a definition/health target and should be to that level by about September assuming no relapse. It will still need monitoring for quite a long time though.

There is obviously a long way to go but, hopefully, signs of the worst case scenarios haven't appeared yet and meds are working so hopefully won't. (Worst case 1, 30/40% chance possibly fatal return in 6-14 years, worst case 2, 25% chance of kidney failure at some stage.)

6 comments:

  1. Well, here's hoping for the best result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be heading that way at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Always look at the positives Rob if possible, plenty of time to wargame and use your collection, best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing my best... plenty of time, it's the energy that stops things, plus limited lifting and bending capacity.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your getting things sorted , sometimes not knowing what's going on is the worst .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it isn't perfect - another one says 'Overall, the current 10 year survival rate for aggressive Berger's disease is 25% and 73% for non-aggressive Berger's disease.'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IgA_nephropathy ' - so...not exactly minor. But then - Great grandfather died of flue epidemic in 1919 as a serving soldie. One grandfather died before I was born, another in his 60s. One uncle on mother's side was 15, I think another in his 50s or 60s. Both my father and his brother were 70. Couple f cousins have just passed 70 in last few years - the first males in 3 generations to manage it. I'm 67, so 3 years to that 70 mark - so 10 years - that's just added 7 years to my life!

      Delete