Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 26 February 2020

A Russian Cossack

A bit more playing around.

Wandering around Looses Emporium in Norwich a few years back I came across one of my 'buy it and I'll use' things - a full set of the (basically Osprey) magazines from the Del Prado 'Napoleon at War' series. Number 42 'Russian Cavalry In Action'  has a picture of a 'Don Cossack, campaign dress, 1812-14' - and it looked like a simple head-swap-and-trim-pennant job on a lancer...

Very simple conversion matched by an equally simple paintjob.

No idea about horse furniture so I've guessed ared and black, same as the uniform.

For black I've just done everything black... it's always been a colour I've struggled with in painting figures...







4 comments:

  1. Nice figure Rob. Black and white are difficult colours to paint figures with. Try a quick highlight of dark grey on top of the black, it helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things that never look right when I do it - if you go through all my Ancients posts you'll find hardly any with black in their costumes.

      Delete
  2. Looks the part to me. Black leather? No problem. Black cloth? Yeah....I usually mix in a bit of brown or grey just so the belts are a bit darker but at arms length does it matter? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realistically... on the table, no it doesn't really matter, just the close ups.

      Delete