Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 8 February 2020

Russian cuirassier

Very rough-and-ready this one.

By snipping a few bits off the mould between the hilt and blade, and by putting a bit less pressure on the mould (accepting a bit more flash on the figure) I'm casting about one in three goes without breaking the sword. So decided to paint one up as a cuirassier...
Comparison with the Dragoon.

I think the cuirassier will look better once it has a gloss coat!

Perhaps happily the photo quality isn't as good as I would normally like.

The sword quality (?) is very clear here.

The horse is a Russian horse - though don't know what is supposed to ride it!

So the result is a figure I quite like but... that sword is very rough and ready, but I daren't try and tidy it up much - it would just snap!

At some stage I think I'll cast half a dozen and paint them up as either Dragoons or Cuirassiers. However, I haven't the faintest idea what to go for but doubt it's viable time-wise to do both.



4 comments:

  1. He does look pretty good apart from the flash. That's the sort of thing I sometimes used to be able to clear with a CAREFUL light touch of my dremel with a fine sanding drum and a delicate touch with the sword support from the other side but my poor old dremel has seen better day as have other.. things ..involved in such delicate operations.

    Should look ok at arms length on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having taken the photos I have pruned the sword back a bit -but they will always need a delicate touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's very effective as a cuirassier, Rob. Autocratic is the word that springs to mind!
    Have you also got Russian infantry in the pipeline? I picked up a half dozen or so rather nice early advancing-pose Pavlosky Grenadiers a while ago, complete with officer (RN1 and RN2 according to the 1972 list). They look suitably fierce and determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer is yes, including marching Pavlosky Guards, but they are marching figures from the 73 catalogue rather than the advancing figures of 72. I think there is also a line infantry officer and standard bearer.

      Delete