Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 5 February 2020

Russian Dragoons

This one is more of a repair job than anything else. The figure exists on an old mould and I don't think I've ever managed to cast a 'good' figure. The main problem is the sword - it's so fragile it always breaks!
It seems to be quite a neat figure with it's 'new' hand.

The new hand came from an infantry officer.

The basic could be used as a cuirassier and possibly serve in the Austrian or Prussian armies.
I have two possibilities. One is to try and alter the original mould so that the sword is a bit tougher - not sure how that would turn out. The other would be to find space on any future new mould. This will depend on whether or not I start up any of the relevant armies. The base figure itself, with appropriate head swaps, also looks promising.




2 comments:

  1. Marvellous! He'd certainly pass for Prussian cuirassier too just as he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a play with the mould, cutting tiny bits of rubber away at the hilt/blade interface. Result is that I now have a one in three chance of getting an acceptable casting - so I've stuck one on a Russian horse (lots of Russian and Prussian horses including one mould - just no riders) and am just about finished painting it as a Russian cuirassier - figure 3, page 139Funcken vol 2 . My intention is to cast 6 more (could take a while!) and paint up either a squadsron of cuirassiers or dragoons. No idea what the back is like so I've given his cuirass a back plate... Should be ready by tomorrow. Meanwhile, French infantry going forward at a snail's pace!

      Delete