Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 16 April 2020

1897 German 3rd Hussars

Lots of hussars seem to have carried a lance around this time - but not sure about the 3rd. The uniform is taken from Das KLeine Buch vom Deutschen Heere published in 1901, though the horse furniture is actually from a picture of  the 3rd Hussars in a Knotel print showing the dress in 1861.
They paint up well and have a real 'toy soldier' feel about them. Couple of issues on vasting this first batch of horses - mainly bridles - but later horses coming out OK.

Must admit I found the scalloped edging to the saddlecloth hard. Time was I could do a lot better on 20mm figures! I didn't even try to do any of the fancy lacework...

But overall very pleased with these and can see quite a few hussar squadrons appearing in the future.





8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is. Trouble is, it's now deflected me away from the 20mmNapoleonics for a bit... just started prepping the 1st Hussars, it's that black uniform...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. But as I said pulling my attention away from the 20mm Napoleonic Landwehr...

      Delete
  3. I like the look of these! I love the figure, I have a unit in blue on the Zinnbrigade galloping napoleonic horses and they were the basis of my Indian lancers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very nice - and of course a hussar is basically a hussar so useful for every nation.

      Delete