Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Prussian artillery

I know I said I was painting up another Line Infantry unit but I was also doing a couple of guns in tandem. As the infantry have various rucksacks and stuff on them, the artillery were simply finished first!
Guns backed by the first regiment I painted. I painted the guns Vallejo flat blue.

As you may have noticed, I tend to experiment. Uniform dyes would be very variable even within a unit so seemed reasonable to do uniforms using slightly different blues.

So the artillery crew are dark Prussian blue, the infantry dark sea blue. On balance, I think the Prussian blue looks'prettier' but the sea blue perhaps has a more 'authentic' look.

8 comments:

  1. All very handsome figures regardless of the variation in blue. But I like your thinking about non-standard dyes of the time.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also helps that I did my degree in Colour Chemistry and Colour Technology...

      Delete
  2. Very nice and Prussiany indeed, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour scheme of blue and white with blue guns is quite distinctive.

      Delete
  3. I think you are right about the variant blues; a good idea, and livens up the army. I do rather like the 'sea blue' for the infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, it's not so much wanting variants as much as wanting something that looks right - but if I use a randomish mix of the three blues for my French and Prussians it will give the various regiments a limited degree of individuality.

      Delete