Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 18 April 2020

Salute, moulds and scammers.

Should be at Salute today but for obvious reasons I'm not....

Problem was, Salute and Partizan are two of my main sources for paints (the other one is in Norwich). Happily, sorted that issue by ordering off ebay.

On the other hand, got a delivery today to make up for it. The second batch of moulds have arrived from Berlinner Zinnfiguren. Uhlan, horse and a couple more artillery figures.
Again, all 'second hand', though the boxed ones were actually unopened.

The Uhlan artwork was very useful - pennants here and inside how to convert parade ground models to campaign - basically, plain black helmet, take plume off and plain coloured tunic. Mine will be campaigning in a simplified parade order!


Meanwhile, the scammers bit...

Every now and then passwords finish up in the 'public domain' - for example, 770 million last year.
Sadly, this is just one of many. So last few days I've been getting threatening emails trying to blackmail me into paying a ransom. Quite scary, saying there's a keylogger following everything I type and how they've been making videos of me because they've hijacked my webcam, etc... as I said, very scary. Very clever people as well. They're making all these videos and... my PC doesn't have a webcam...

Seriously though, seems a good time to warn people and suggest regular changes of passwords.And, of course, be very careful opening any emails or attachments without being sure who really sent them.

4 comments:

  1. I had the same hacker knows your work email passwords (scarily it genuinely was an old disused work related password) threatening to show the webcam footage of my "misbehaviour" in response to dubious websites to my work colleagues etc.
    As I have nothing to be ashamed of - I like you do not have (and never have had) a webcam on my computer - this was purely nonsense designed to panic you into pressing buttons or passing on bank details. Had I spent time looking at illegal stuff that I shouldn't, scammers would hope my response would be more panicked.
    (Oh no - How could scammers know about the "shameful" lunchtime visits to "shameful" toy soldier sites in my "shameful" past ordering PA toy Soldier moulds? My toy soldier secret hobby could be outed. The shame).
    I screenshotted, deleted and blocked the scam email and emailed the screenshots to my IT colleagues so they could investigate my PC for virus nasties and watch out for the same spam on the system - "tell the truth and shame the devil" scammers! Nobody else at work had webcams either. These emails persisted on and off for several months then died away. Scary when you first get them though ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had three so far. Blocked, but not really worth it it - they were all from different addresses. That is one use the scammer has for the harvested email accounts - they send the scams out on other people's accounts. If they send out a few thousand and get a dozen or so 'hits' it is quite lucrative.

      Delete
  2. Glad you posted about the scary blackmail scammers. I got one of those months ago: the disturbing part was not the threat (I also had no web cam, so obviously it was a general mailing), but seeing my password. It was one that I had changed out and was no longer in use, and I changed all my passwords again just in case, but it did make one feel exposed (and worried about other passwords).

    Anyway, nothing more on that front until I got two more in the last week, so they're back at it (same old password from the first).

    Makes you sort of miss those emails from the Nigerian Oil Minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microsoft phone calls were best. If you didn't have anything better to do you could wend thhem up quite nicely. Thing is, for some people they are scary. Were for me because there's always the chance they could possibly have used those passwords to get get into other accounts...

      Delete